Ticket #11505 (closed defect: fixed)
Migrating Windows XP - Guru Meditation -1153 (VERR_EM_INTERNAL_DISAS_ERROR)
|Reported by:||AaronD||Owned by:|
I'm trying to move an old (32-bit) HP store-bought machine into a VM on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. The conversion appears to go smoothly except that it always Guru Meditates when I try to boot the VM from the converted hard drive. The physical machine boots and runs just fine on a 60GB IDE hard drive with a few bad sectors and two partitions:
- small FAT32 labelled "recovery"
- large NTFS labelled "system"
Here's what I did:
- Used ddrescue to create an image of the entire drive. (/dev/sdb, not 1 or 2) It ended up with 127kB worth of errors across 217 locations when it was done.
- Converted the image to a VDI with this command:
VBoxManage convertfromraw <image> <vdi> -type VDI -variant Standard.
- Installed a fresh copy of Windows XP on a different, blank VDI.
- Shut down the VM, mounted the backup VDI, and restarted. I could see both partitions and access the data that I needed to at that stage of conversion.
- Shut down the VM, disconnected the fresh VDI, and made the backup VDI the Primary Master.
- Tried to boot from the backup VDI.
- Guru Meditates after the VBox splash/BIOS screen and before the Windows loading screen.
- Reduced the system and video memory several times and disabled the virtualization options. Always meditates at the same point.
I put a core dump in the Logs folder, compressed the folder, and attached it here.