Ticket #10155 (new defect)
"firmware upload failed (-110) when attempting to connect USB Wireless device (Atheros carl9170)
|Reported by:||vsritual||Owned by:|
Host: Ubuntu 10.10 x64
Guest: BackTrack 5 R1 / 188.8.131.52
Device: NetGear WN111v2 (Atheros carl9170)
When booting this OS on bare metal I am able to attach the device without any issues. If you boot the OS in VirtualBox, you get a "firmware upload failed (-110)" error.
Things I've tried:
- Booting off the live CD in Vbox Ubuntu Host, then attach USB stick. Failed.
- Booting off the live CD on bare metal, then attach USB stick. Success
- Using existing image within Vbox Snow Leopard Host, then attach USB stick. Success
- Booting off the live CD using VMware Player Ubuntu Host, then attach USB stick. Success.
- Transfering the working VBox image (export/import) from working Snow Leopard Host to Ubuntu Host, then attaching USB stick. Failed.
I've also tried playing with the compat-wireless drivers from linuxwireless.org but still no go. I really think it is limited to a Linux host/linux guest issue.
[ 139.774350] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2 [ 142.980070] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd [ 143.308076] usb 1-1: reset high speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd [ 143.524060] usb 1-1: driver API: 1.9.2 2011-01-22 [1-1] [ 143.524062] usb 1-1: firmware API: 1.9.2 2010-12-25 [ 143.624148] usb 1-1: firmware upload failed (-110).
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:9001 NetGear, Inc. WN111(v2) RangeMax Next Wireless [Atheros AR9170+AR9101]