[vbox-dev] vbox-dev: Implementing Performance Counter Support

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Nov 16 17:00:31 GMT 2023

On Tue, 07 Nov 2023 21:38:48 +0100, David via vbox-dev said:

> I am considering contributing to VBox and add support for CPU performance
> counters. You might have encountered the lack of such support while using
> Perf, which will dispay *<not supported>* in place of, for example, the
> branch-misses that were requested.

 Hw should you access the hardware specific registers? You're basically going to
have to include much of the infrastructure from the Linux 'perf' command, or
whatever the equivalent is on other host operating systems.

As to how to make them available inside the virtual machine?  As virtualized
MSRs or whatever the real hardare presents - because 'perf' running inside the
VM will use the same system calls to get info from the (virtualized) hardware, and the
virtualized OS will attempt to use the same MSR/etc access it would if it as
running on bare iron.