[vbox-dev] vbox-dev: Implementing Performance Counter Support

David davidemba001 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 20:38:48 GMT 2023

Hello everyone on the vbox-dev mailing list,

*Introduction*
I am considering contributing to VBox and add support for CPU performance
counters. You might have encountered the lack of such support while using
Perf, which will dispay *<not supported>* in place of, for example, the
branch-misses that were requested. It is important to note that this is my
first time contributing to VBox and I currently lack detailed knowledge of
its' inner workings.

*The Problem*
My current understanding of this problem is that VBox does not expose the
necessary performance counter registers. I have been looking through the
documentation for the CPUM component but I am having trouble wrapping my
head around how VBox accesses registers from the host's CPU and exposes
said registers (specifically the MSRs) to the guest, so I ask following
questions:

   1. How should I access (machine-specific) registers from the host's CPU
   using VBox's components.
   2. How should I make these registers available to the guest in line with
   VBox's current architecture?

I thank you in advance and remain
with kind regards,
David Golger