[vbox-dev] I have a server farm for VirtualBox Regression Testing (RT)

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon May 22 11:16:00 GMT 2023

Hello Technologov,

the VirtualBox 'Validation Kit' is part of the source tree, which means
that you can build it yourself. Would be a pain if you'd have multiple
platforms (then it becomes a complicated staged build).

Check
https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/ValidationKit -
it has a variety of tests already. Some need VM images, others need
ISOs, and some tests just need VirtualBox (the misc and API unit tests).

More inline.

On 2023-05-08 21:04, Alexey Eromenko via vbox-dev wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I own a server farm, and I can deploy VirtualBox Regression Testing
> (RT), if you can make this part open-source. We speak about ~3000 CPU
> cores that are sitting idle. About 90 servers. Mostly Intel Xeon, and
> a few AMD systems too. All are equipped with SSDs, and at least 64 GB
> of RAM. All are running Debian Linux as host OS.

Should be already completely open source. Using our own test framework
since we found none which could handle our wishlist (among other things
it needs to be able to deal with spontaneous reboots, ...).

> This could significantly improve VirtualBox regression testing and
> test coverage, and reduce amount of regressions in this complex
> masterpiece and marvel of technology.
>
> I won't have time to write new test modules, but I will have time to
> maintain hardware and software, collect results and analyze them.

The initial setup is quite some effort, mainly to get the test manager
going, create the test configs and making sure that it gets a feed of
relevant VirtualBox builds and has a good set of images needed for the
tests. After that it should be much lower maintenance.

There are quite a few tests already, covering a broad range (very far
from complete coverage, we know).

Klaus