[vbox-dev] curl directory is incomplete in the source archive

Alexander Rudnev alexander.rudnev at oracle.com
Mon May 1 15:07:27 GMT 2023

Hi John,

there is one issue which prevents us from doing what you described:
we're modifying some .c files in libraries, so you can't just copy them
from upstream repository, you'll need to modify them before building.
Other than that quite often updated library version is not fully 100%
backward compatible, so we usually fixing that issues too.

 > Yes,    it would make the virtualbox archive not self-sufficient,
but then it is already not self-sufficient.

It should be, if not - that's an issue which has to be fixed.

 > Also maybe a friendly request to the curl upstream maintainer asking
for whatever is needed to be exposed in an installed curl,   so that
package source files would not be needed at all.

Please don't forget we're building VirtualBox not for Linux only, we
build it for Windows, for example, where that solution would hardly work.