[vbox-dev] curl directory is incomplete in the source archive

John Lumby jlumby at bluecatnetworks.com
Mon May 1 14:35:40 GMT 2023

Referencing the previous posts on this from Konstantin Vlasov  and the issuing of the new suffix-"a" archives :

I also just got hit by this  (missed the significance of the earlier posts,    duh!)

But surely packaging another package's source includes and even c-files is not a good idea  - this problem is bound to happen again.

I would suggest,  instead,    adding a new mandatory parameter to configure
---curl-source-tree=/somewhere
with an explanation of how to obtain this source-tree (or even automatically git-clone it if missing?)

and adding that directory to the g++ include list

Yes,    it would make the virtualbox archive not self-sufficient,     but then it is already not self-sufficient.

Also maybe a friendly request to the curl upstream maintainer asking for whatever is needed to be exposed in an installed curl,   so that package source files would not be needed at all.

Cheers,   John Lumby