[vbox-dev] apt-key is deprecated - please update install page accordingly

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Jun 27 20:56:44 GMT 2022

  Hi Arnaldo,

this has been put in place finally (including the key cleanup - it's the
2016 one which matters). Many non-thanks goes to the developers of
apt-get, who really have done the worst possible job, not telling anyone
when the signed-by stuff was actually implemented.

Causing a lot of worry on my side what compatibility mess they'd get us
into. But after a lot of wasted time (which they could've easily handled
once and for all by having a single line in the docs or some such) it
looks reasonably safe to assume that all Debian/Ubuntu versions
currently supported (including LTS) can deal with it. Just.

And we don't have time at the moment to worry about people who want to
run old distributions on the host anyway.

Thanks again for the reminder...

Klaus