[vbox-dev] Debian repository improvements and a reminder on apt-key

Arnaldo Pirrone it9exm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 17:44:23 GMT 2022

Hello,

If I try installing virtualbox-6.1 on debian sid using the "bullseye"
release in the repo, It won't install and I get the apt errors in the
attached file. (it complains about libvpx)
If I use the "buster" release, it will install correctly.
That's really strange because "bullseye" is newer than "buster" (11 vs 10)
and I don't get why I have to choose the older release in the repository.

Is it too much asking to create directory trees and infrastructure files in
this repository
(Release, Packages, Contents) specific for testing and sid, and moving the
trees for the
Ubuntu releases in a totally different repository, so that they won't get
mixed up anymore?

I think it would be a lot better to have:

https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian - Packages for debian
releases
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ubuntu - Packages for ubuntu
releases
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/dists/testing - Packages
for debian testing
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/dists/sid - Packages for
debian sid

Also, I would like to remind the dev team about this other topic. It's
about the soon to be discontinued apt-key utility, and a different way to
check the GPG signatures for the 3rd party repositories.

https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vbox-dev/2022-March/015714.html

Respectfully,

Arnaldo Pirrone