[vbox-dev] VirtualBox ignoring boot order

Dan Egli dan at newideatest.site
Tue Sep 22 02:42:11 GMT 2020

On 9/21/2020 2:14 PM, Ivo Smits wrote:
> There are some CDs that just boot straight to the first harddisk if
> there's a boot record there. I suppose they do this to prevent
> accidental overwriting of an existing OS, or to facilitate
> continuation of the installer even if the CD is not removed after the
> first stage. Some boot code asks whether to boot from harddisk or CD,
> sometimes with a timeout after which it either boots from CD or
> harddisk automatically, but some other CDs may not ask this question
> and may not even display any message at all.
>
> Have you tested this with different bootable CD images?

As a matter of fact, yes. I've tested with both the Gentoo and the
CentOS 8 discs. Both exhibit the same behavior. If the drive does not
have Grub installed then it boots from the CD fine. If the drive DOES
have grub installed, then it ignores the CD.  I'm downloading the newest
version now so I'll see if this still comes up.

--

Dan Egli