[vbox-dev] Host-Only networking, developer logs (LogRel?)

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Aug 20 17:21:21 GMT 2019

default Windows firewall config since at least the XP days is to block
receiving ICMP echo request packets (don't think they ever explained
coherently why). It's possible to change this by adding a custom rule,
and to make things less obvious some Microsoft-provided rules (normally
disabled, but IIRC one of them gets enabled if you enable file and
printer sharing) automatically include allowing to receive ICMP echo
request packets.

Could be that your network config has such firewall rules enabled for
some of the usual Windows network classes (Home network / Work network /
Public network) but not for others. This would explain why pings
sometimes work and sometimes not, with the same Windows system as the
target.

All in all quite tricky to find with the ever changing ways to configure
the firewall across the Windows versions.

Klaus