[vbox-dev] Host-Only networking, developer logs (LogRel?)

Valery Ushakov uwe at stderr.spb.ru
Tue Aug 20 15:38:09 GMT 2019

Moi, Lassi.

Vaatamoinen, Lassi wrote:

> I've had issues in Host-only networking, while connected to a specific
> network cable at our company. There is an (already) lengthy discussion
> in the VBox forums here:
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94323
>
> In a nutshell: The Host-Only networking works in our Corporate
> network, or when disconnected. But *not* working when using "RD"
> network, which is a private 192.168.100.0/19.
[...]
> VBox setup:
> Host: Windows 10
> Guest: Ubuntu 18.04

Have you tried anything other than ping?  telnet/nc from the guest to
a service running on the host (listening on the host-only on on the
wildcard), another nc running on the host will do.

pinging a windows machine (host in your case) is a funny business.  I
assume that when you say "host->guest is ok" you also mean ping (you
don't provide packet capture for that).  So the packets (echo replies)
are correctly delivered from the guest to the host.  The "guest->host
not ok" is most likely not a sign of packets not deliverd, but a sign
of the Windows electing not to talk to you because reasons.

E.g. I have in front of me two VMs on the same internal network and I
can ping windows vm -> linux vm, but not from linux to windows.  I can
get an nc connection from linux to windows just fine though (windows
asked me if i want to allow nc to listen on a public network).

So my initial suspicion would be that windows firewall gets into
paranoid mode or something when the host is plugged into RD.

-uwe