[vbox-dev] getting object name in VirtualBox gui

Mihai Hanor quake2iasi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:21:31 GMT 2018

Hi Klaus,

When you say that the devs have been working on it, are you referring to
the 5.2.18 release build, the testing builds or the svn? I've build today a
svn on Windows 10 and the Windows Narrator is not able to read the VM
window menu controls. All I hear for it is "pain"/"main" or something
similar, I'm not sure what it's saying. It's only able to read the VM
window title. The same thing happens with 5.2.18.
>From my perspective (building VirtualBox and crashing things), the fact
that the OS or the debugger are unable to get a "handle" on the hardened
process, it's something missing. WER just lets the process exit, because it
can't attach to it. Windbg also can't attach to the process. I'm only able
to save a dump when there's no default debugger, when the OS puts a message
box that the process has crashed, then I start Process Explorer as admin
and dump the process. I haven't found a way to do automatic process memory
saving. That's the experience I remember, because I haven't had a crash in
some time. A build-in crash handler could help users report crashes, it
could be useful.

Regards,
Mihai