[vbox-dev] getting object name in VirtualBox gui

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Sep 25 17:51:03 GMT 2018

Wait... is it really confirmed that Narrator can't work with (hardened)
VirtualBox either? That would mean our devs must have been testing the
wrong thing for quite a while now. It certainly hasn't reached my
attention so far.

For many reasons we cannot recommend that random people run non-hardened
builds. What might be a way out (not with the current builds, they would
be affected by hardening) is to ship an additional compilation of the VM
UI which is not subject to hardening and can be used solely with the
"separate VM/UI process" option which VirtualBox has already. Would
bring some minor feature losses, but if that would bring back full
accessibility I can see a good justification for spending the necessary
time.

Klaus