[vbox-dev] Support of Windows XP

Michal Necasek michal.necasek at oracle.com
Wed Feb 21 08:14:31 GMT 2018

 Sorry, no. There is a difference between "supported" and "happens to work". Much like Windows XP itself didn't stop working when Microsoft's support for it ended, VirtualBox still happens to work on Windows XP and Server 2003 hosts. But it is not officially supported (i.e. if you have a problem, tough luck), and it is only a question of time before it stops working altogether.

 It is increasingly difficult to maintain host machines running NT 5.x (XP or Server 2003) for testing. It is also increasingly difficult to support current Windows versions and not break NT 5.x hosts. At the same time, there is a decreasing number of users on XP.

 So if VirtualBox 5.2.6 works well for you on XP, we're happy to hear that, but XP/Server 2003 won't become an officially supported host OS again, and at some point VirtualBox will no longer run on XP at all.

 The fact of life is that no one can keep endlessly expanding their matrix of supported host OSes. (For guest operating systems the situation is completely different, because our Guest Additions are the only potentially problematic component.)

      Regards,
         Michal