[vbox-dev] VirtualBox official debug builds/debug symbols

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Apr 18 12:07:46 GMT 2018

Samuel,

you're using a non-hardened build (which is meant for direct use by a
developer, generally straight from out/..../bin, not for installing
system-wide) with the same permissions as a hardened build (i.e. suid
root). This explains why the result ends up running as root, because
only hardened builds have the code for dropping the privileges again to
the normal user.

While the system-wide install is probably not an issue in your case
(face it, many Linux installs are effectively used by only a single
person, so many security issues are irrelevant in such a context),
you'll need to adjust the permission, dropping the suid bit (04xxx)

Klaus