[vbox-dev] Linux PCI-passthrough kernel module cleanup

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Sep 4 19:00:47 GMT 2017

Hello Anton,

Short answer due to lack of time and lack of familiarity with that
particular driver, but I don't know if anyone else currently on the team
would do better.  Playing with "svn blame" and "svn diff" shows that the
function was introduced in r36260 but never actually used.  It happens.
I am interested in what sort of support driver you are wanting to write,
if that is something you feel like telling.  We call the main
virtualisation driver the "support driver", but I presume that is not
what you meant.  Knowing might help us help you, though as everyone is
rather short on time, reading sources like you are doing is a good idea.

Regards
Michael

02.09.2017 16:38, Anton Yakovlev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm gonna implement my own Linux kernel module for VBox support driver
> and took PCI-passthrough module as a base example. And I have some
> uncertainty. There're two functions for creating/destroying "instance"
> structures (vboxPciNewInstance/vboxPciUnlinkInstanceLocked). I can
> easily find, where vboxPciNewInstance is invoked. But
> vboxPciUnlinkInstanceLocked is called only from vboxPciDevCleanup. I
> grep'ed the whole VBox source code tree, and there's no place, where the
> last function is called. I don't know, is it some kind of a bug or this
> function is invoked in some unobvious way?
>
> I work with SVN revision 67803M.
>
> Best regards,
> Anton--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697