[vbox-dev] audio issues

Perry Halbert phalbert at cox.net
Wed May 24 18:11:45 GMT 2017

Thank you Andreas for the information.  My issue was not with the normal
or test builds but the build from SVN and that still does not work ( Now
at r67008 ). I used to be able to build with audio_stable but since that
was removed approx 8 months ago sound just does not work.  Skips and the
logs with audio debug are full of errors about stream being full expect
skipping.

Perry

On 05/24/2017 12:53 PM, Andreas Löffler wrote:
> Hello Perry/all,
>
> just wanted to let you know that there's a new 5.1 test build [1]
> r115730 which should have audio improvements regarding HDA emulation
> in combination with Windows 10 AU (Anniversary Update) + CU (Creators
> Update) guests.
>
> Happy testing,
> Andreas
>
> [1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
>

> Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

> Andreas Löffler             | VirtualBox Engineering
> Principal Software Engineer | Oracle Virtualization
>
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
> Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603
>
> Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
> Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande
> Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697
> Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Jan Schultheiss, Val Maher
>
> Green Oracle <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>
> Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that
> help protect the environment
>

> On 27.04.2017 14:16, Perry Halbert wrote:
>> Good day Frank,
>>

>> I too was surprised that there was an improvement. I look at the changes
>> and didn't really see any audio areas specifically worked on so I
>> calculated that the timing or buffers had been changed in some way on
>> the host side code.  To tell you the truth it always looked like a
>> buffer issue to me. Anyway it had improved for me for several days and
>> not anything that I have done, but today it is back to the same old ways
>> of the stuttering and audio out of sync with the video plus the whole
>> video skips ahead a second so even the video is jumpy.
>>
>> I will continue to monitor this and let you know what I find, maybe not
>> right away this time.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Perry
>>

>> On 04/27/2017 02:30 AM, Frank Mehnert wrote:
>>> Hi Perry,

>>> thank you for testing. Some status update regarding sound in trunk
>>> and in the
>>> 5.1.x branch:
>>>
>>> At the moment the code between trunk and 5.1 drifts away a little
>>> bit. In
>>> principle trunk has the more modern audio framework, in particular
>>> it moves
>>> more audio work from the EM threads (the VCPU emulation threads) to
>>> separate
>>> threads. This is good for the timing and therefore good for audio
>>> quality.
>>> Trunk audio didn't change for some weeks (it still needs improvements),
>>> therefore we are slightly surprised that you experience improvements
>>> with
>>> the latest trunk updates. I'm also not aware of any recent VMM
>>> updates which
>>> would improve timing...
>>>
>>> The 5.1.x branch still uses quite old audio code. We don't want to do
>>> fundamental changes in 5.1.x but we need to fix certain cases.
>>> Especially
>>> we are aware that Windows 10 AU guests don't work well with 5.1.x
>>> (including
>>> 5.1.20). Unfortunately fixing this is more complicated and conflicts