[vbox-dev] VirtualBox 5.1 xpcom custom frontend problems

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Mon May 22 15:11:43 GMT 2017

Hi,

I wanted to upgrade our custom framebuffer client from VirtualBox 5.0.20 to
the latest 5.1.22 and encountered some issues. Since I haven't been
following what is new in 5.1 I just wanted to know if I can get some quick
feedback:

1) GCC version. Previously when I used 5.0.20 I compiled my frontend
explicitly with gcc-4.9 since using gcc 5 which had binary
incompatibilities lead to crashes. I assume now I should be compiling my
code with gcc-5 ? I tried that but had a crash in xpcom strlen when calling
LockMachine, are there any additional things beside the compiler version
that I should be aware of? I'll check if that happens with the xpcom sample
provided in the sdk as well.

2) Previously I was using setuid on the executable otherwise I could not
instantiate the xpcom object. Now when I do that I can not list the
machines. So have there been any changes to the permission requirements? Is
it safe to run my xpcom based framebuffer frontend without setuid?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Rudolfs Bundulis