[vbox-dev] Enabling 3D acceleration with VBoxOGL and VBoxECL

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Mar 6 19:13:53 GMT 2017

On 03/06/2017 11:58 AM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> where are your fixes
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization/virtualbox ?

Yes. If you look under the "Revisions" tab on that page, you will see a list of
the revisions. Numbers 311-313 cover the changes in 3D acceleration. For each
such revision, the "Files changed" link shows the diffs for the files.

> Unfortunately I don't have much time to look at , but the primary
> problem IMO is install vboxvideo_drv.so [1]
> since 5.0.18 we shouldn't install it in modern X11 with EGL (I think)

Our setup installs vboxvideo_drv.so and uses it.

> Another thing that I like understand is sonames , I use [2]
> you now have another recent fix [4] in revision 311 (Remove file
> "vbox_prevent_wrong_SONAME.patch" ) which was like my patch ...

Just deleting the SONAME lines did not work for me.

> Not he solution is :
> +# Do not provide libGL.so symbols - they are owned by Mesa already and
> this could potentially confuse rpm/zypp
> +%global __provides_exclude ^libE?GL.so.1.*$
>
> I have 3D working with my patch

Is it working for KDE with Plasma 5?

> Another ideas:
> - I need patches for kernel 4.11-rc0-git9

Attached. The changes are minor. A few routines need added includes, and
set_task_state() has been removed. Fortunately, the latter is easily fixed with
set_task_state(pSelf, ...) => set_current_state(...).

> - as we downstreams in distros also provides guest packages,  maybe can
> be established , when install opensuse in a vm , instead run a script
> we may install rpm packages virtualbox-guest [3]
> - when we got a new upstream release ? I expect it to see and to test
> gcc7 and test last patches for kernel 4.10 and new patches for kernel
> 4.11 ...

The openSUSE installation in a VM already installs the guest packages. As for
testing with new compilers and kernels, I do the test builds locally and keep
the VB package updated. My biggest problem is holding the update long enough for
critical changes to propagate through the build process and get included in an
update. If I submit too soon, then the current build task is superseded before
it ever gets to the user and we start the process over again.

> Sorry to land here without parachute
> Best regards and thanks,
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/rpmfusion/VirtualBox/commit/b64ca00b8e5a0937413a2838
> 84fa3980e943dbbd
>
> https://github.com/rpmfusion/VirtualBox/commit/b64ca00b8e5a0937413a2838
> 84fa3980e943dbbd#diff-ce01f8ed00dd31a53b7eed0c68ae2e9cL403
>
> [2]
> https://github.com/rpmfusion/VirtualBox/blob/master/VirtualBox-5.0.22-g
> uest_soname.patch
>
> [3]