[vbox-dev] Enabling 3D acceleration with VBoxOGL and VBoxECL

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Mon Mar 6 17:58:08 GMT 2017

Hi Larry,

where are your fixes
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization/virtualbox ?

Unfortunately I don't have much time to look at , but the primary
problem IMO is install vboxvideo_drv.so [1]
since 5.0.18 we shouldn't install it in modern X11 with EGL (I think)

Another thing that I like understand is sonames , I use [2]
you now have another recent fix [4] in revision 311 (Remove file
"vbox_prevent_wrong_SONAME.patch" ) which was like my patch ...

Not he solution is :
+# Do not provide libGL.so symbols - they are owned by Mesa already and
this could potentially confuse rpm/zypp
+%global __provides_exclude ^libE?GL.so.1.*$

I have 3D working with my patch

Another ideas:
- I need patches for kernel 4.11-rc0-git9
- as we downstreams in distros also provides guest packages,  maybe can
be established , when install opensuse in a vm , instead run a script
we may install rpm packages virtualbox-guest [3]
- when we got a new upstream release ? I expect it to see and to test
gcc7 and test last patches for kernel 4.10 and new patches for kernel
4.11 ...

Sorry to land here without parachute
Best regards and thanks,

[1]
https://github.com/rpmfusion/VirtualBox/commit/b64ca00b8e5a0937413a2838
84fa3980e943dbbd

https://github.com/rpmfusion/VirtualBox/commit/b64ca00b8e5a0937413a2838
84fa3980e943dbbd#diff-ce01f8ed00dd31a53b7eed0c68ae2e9cL403

[2]
https://github.com/rpmfusion/VirtualBox/blob/master/VirtualBox-5.0.22-g
uest_soname.patch

[3]
https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries/Virtualization/virtualbox?r
epository=openSUSE_Factory

[4]

On Seg, 2017-03-06 at 10:46 -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 03/06/2017 09:10 AM, Michael Thayer wrote:
> >
> > Hello Larry,
> >
> > Sorry for the delay, I was away.  Have you got any further here, or
> > should I
> > take a look?  (I will be away for most of this week too, but will
> > try to find
> > time as soon as possible.)
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. I solved my problems - the major one
> was that the
> .spec file was changing the SONAME setting for VBoxGL.so and
> VBoxEGL.so to not
> cause interference with libOGL.so and libEGL.so. As soon as I
> reversed that
> renaming, then 3D acceleration worked. The library interference was
> solved by
> adding the line "%global __provides_exclude ^libE?GL.so.1.*$" to the
> .spec. That
> last line was courtesy of Dominique Leuenberger at SUSE. I still have
> not
> finished parsing that construct. :)
>
> After all the work of solving the problems, I still had to disable
> 3D
> acceleration in the vboxadd script. It works fine with a Gnome
> desktop, but
> fails with Plasma 5 (KDE). As far as I have read, VMWare has a fix
> for that
> problem, but there is nothing in the public domain. I left the setup
> code in
> vboxadd, and then added code to remove the linkage required to
> replace libXGL.
> There is an extensive comment telling the Gnome user how to turn 3D
> on.
>
> Until there is a Plasma fix, my KDE users will have to be content
> with the 3D
> button having no effect.
>
> Larry

Sérgio M. B.