[vbox-dev] 3d pass-through and gnome-shell ?

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Fri Jun 23 08:44:03 GMT 2017

Hello Hans,

22.06.2017 11:49, Hans de Goede wrote:
[...]
> I've been testing vbox 3d pass-through, and if I use metacity as a window
> manger then running glxgears -info shows:
>
> GL_RENDERER   = Chromium
> GL_VERSION    = 2.1 Chromium 1.9
> GL_VENDOR     = Humper
>
> So things seem to be working, but gnome3 / gnome-shell does not work ?
[...]

Sorry, another slow response, and sorry too that it will not be a very
satisfactory response.  What you are pointing out is a known problem
with our 3D.  It only works for X11 clients, not for Wayland.  This is
fixable in theory, but has been so far down the priority list for so
long that we have officially declared it as user contribution only[1].
In fact, as soon as I get round to it I will disable 3D support for
Fedora guests altogether, as it is not reliable.  Our 3D detection
mechanism at start-up is too slow as compared to the Fedora log-in
screen appearing, and often prevents log-in altogether.  As you
correctly pointed out some time ago, supporting libglvnd would also fix
this, but it is unfortunately also too far down the priority list,
especially given the lack of Wayland support.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/X11Guest3D

Regards
Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697