[vbox-dev] Co-existence of distribution-installed Guest Additions and Oracle-provided ones

Gianfranco Costamagna locutusofborg at debian.org
Wed Jun 14 12:37:13 GMT 2017

Hello,

>And here we come back to the original problem.  If it were just a case
>of Debian, but our installer is designed to work with any distribution,
>and it becomes a case of knowing the magical incantations for each,
>rather than just executing a script which contains "apt-get remove
>virtualbox-guest".  What problems do you see with that?

you need to call some apt remove --purge virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11
or similar.

But I would say this is hacky and risky, maybe just printing the content of such
file (in case it exists) and tell the user to run it might be better

"hello, we detected you might already have a virtualbox guest foo installed"
please try to remove it from your system before installing the oracle provided one
with the following command
`cat file`

and try again.

the same can be done from my side