[vbox-dev] Co-existence of distribution-installed Guest Additions and Oracle-provided ones

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Jun 14 12:52:14 GMT 2017

Hello Gianfranco,

14.06.2017 14:37, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
>> And here we come back to the original problem.  If it were just a case
>> of Debian, but our installer is designed to work with any distribution,
>> and it becomes a case of knowing the magical incantations for each,
>> rather than just executing a script which contains "apt-get remove
>> virtualbox-guest".  What problems do you see with that?
>
> you need to call some apt remove --purge virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11
> or similar.
>
> But I would say this is hacky and risky, maybe just printing the content of such
> file (in case it exists) and tell the user to run it might be better
>
> "hello, we detected you might already have a virtualbox guest foo installed"
> please try to remove it from your system before installing the oracle provided one
> with the following command
> `cat file`
>
> and try again.
>
> the same can be done from my side
>
> does this sound good?

That is roughly what we had until recently, minus printing the exact
command.  Seamlessly switching would be a big usability plus though.  My
original idea was to make it possible to have two versions (distribution
and ours) installed at once, and set symbolic links in /usr/bin and
places to make the right one active.  Hans sensibly pointed out that
this is likely to be tricky and error-prone, and this was his
alternative suggestion.  Any thoughts?  So far, given that no one has
taken this up yet, there is still time to improve.

Regards
Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697