[vbox-dev] New kernel error message when running 4.13 as guest

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Jul 26 20:17:22 GMT 2017

Hi Michal,

On 26-07-17 17:18, Michal Necasek wrote:

>     Hi Hans,
>
>   The message is harmless. It's triggered because VirtualBox currently does not expose the host CPU microcode revision to guest operating systems. I don't think we want to do that without fully understanding what sorts of assumptions operating systems might make when they see the actual revision.
>
>   At any rate, VirtualBox currently doesn't support TSC deadline timers so the message is simply noise.

Thank you for your reaction. I understand that the message is just noise, but it would
still be nice to do something about it, Linux distributions have gone through great
efforts to offer a smooth boot experience without scary text-messages and an error
like this breaks that part of the user-experience.

I wonder why the kernel prints the message at all if vbox does not support
TSC deadline timers, could it be that somehow the capability bit for that
gets leaked from the host to the guest even though it is not supported ?

Regards,

Hans