[vbox-dev] vgdrvIoCtl_CancelAllWaitEvents inconsistent behavior ?

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Fri Jul 7 10:21:38 GMT 2017

Hello Hans,

06.07.2017 11:08, Hans de Goede wrote:
[Discussion of whether to implement the new behaviour of the
CANCEL_ALL_WAITEVENTS IoCtl in the in-kernel vboxguest.]
By the way, feel free to submit patches to bring our code more in line
with what you intend to submit to the kernel, if that will make your
life easier.  You probably have a feel for what we are likely to like
and what not.  General rule, common code should use our coding style and
our cross-platform APIs whenever possible, and as much code should be
common, and as little platform-specific, as possible.  We do have an
object which is much closer in behaviour to Linux kernel waitqueues than
what we are currently doing in WAITEVENT (in fact in Linux kernel code
it wraps around waitqueues): event semaphores (see iprt/semaphores.h and
src/VBox/Runtime/r0drv/linux/semevent-r0drv-linux.c).

It is possible that I will try to adapt some of your changes myself at
some point, but being realistic I don't think it is very likely that I
will find the time - and obviously the vboxvideo changes have a much
higher priority for me.

Regards
Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697