[vbox-dev] Replacing VbglPhysHeapAlloc with kmalloc for linux vboxguest module ?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Jul 6 09:13:13 GMT 2017

Hi,

VbglPhysHeapAlloc seems to be yet another mem-allocator
which chunks up memory returned by RTMemContAlloc, which
returns physical contiguous memory below 4GB.

I don't see any reason why we cannot use kmalloc directly
for that with a GFP_DMA32 flag.

One other thing which RTMemContAlloc seems to do is mark
the pages executable. Does memory used by VbglGRAlloc /
VbglGRPerform need to be marked executable ?

I see no reason from the guest side why it should be marked
such does the host expect / checks this, or can I simply omit
marking this memory executable ?

Regards,

Hans