[vbox-dev] OpenGL 3.2 support

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 14:46:47 GMT 2017

Hi,

I am trying to run a 3D visualization demo built on Unreal Engine on a
Ubuntu VM. The demo does not run failing with an error that tells OpenGL
3.2 is not supported. I have guest additions installed and 3d acceleraction
enabled (glxinfo shows the correct "2.1 Chromium 1.9"). I was under the
impression that the guest additions fully forward everything to the host
GPU and thus since the underlying Quadro 4200 has OpenGL 4.x it should work
but apparently it is not that simple.

Can anyone briefly explain is this a dead end, or I am missing something
trivial or there is coding that needs to be done to enable support for
OpenGL 3.x? If the latter is true, can anyone give a brief notion how
big/small is the stuff that needs to be done? We have some resources in the
university that we could use to try and come up with something and then (if
it looks good enough) contribute it back to VirtualBox.

Best Regards,
Rudolfs Bundulis