[vbox-dev] Enabling 3D acceleration with VBoxOGL and VBoxECL

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Sun Feb 19 19:39:14 GMT 2017

Hello Larry,

17.02.2017 22:50, Larry Finger wrote:
> An openSUSE user has filed a bug regarding the lack of 3D acceleration
> in guests. I have followed the various discussions regarding this issue
> and I now have most of the parts in our guest packages. My main
> remaining problem is that "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --check3d" returns
> nothing. For my current testing, I have removed that test from my
> vboxadd shell, but I will need to solve the problem before I can push
> the changes.
>
> I looked at the VBoxClient code, but quickly got lost. What are the
> requirements for a non-NULL response for the command?

Don't know if this is confusing, but the command returns true or false,
as in "if /usr/bin/VBoxClient --check3d; then" in a shell script.  In
that case VBoxOGL.so and VBoxEGL.so should be set up to replace the
default Mesa libOGL.so.* and libEGL.so.*.  Our installer uses
ld.so.conf.d for this.

Regards
Michael

--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697