[vbox-dev] Does NATNetwork require VBoxNetNAT to be suid?

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sun Apr 9 18:35:27 GMT 2017

The openSUSE change log for VB 5.0.20 contains the line "* NAT Network: File
VBoxNetNAT no longer requires suid". (See
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-updates/2016-06/msg00002.html) I am not
able, however, to find the corresponding line in the Oracle version of the
changelog at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-5.0.

Does anyone have any recollection of changes in suid for
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetNAT? My problem is that NATNetwork mode does not work
unless I set suid for that file. I'm wondering if there is some other problem
with the spec file that openSUSE is using to build our RPM.

Thanks,

Larry