[vbox-dev] Co-existence of distribution-installed Guest Additions and Oracle-provided ones

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Apr 3 18:22:47 GMT 2017

Hello all (especially distribution package maintainers),

Hans de Goede from Redhat suggested a nice simple solution for stopping
our Additions and distribution Additions packages from treading on each
other's feet: a well-known file -
/usr/sbin/vbox-uninstall-guest-additions - which can be executed to
uninstall the currently installed Additions, say by executing "dnf
remove virtualbox-guest-additions" or whatever is appropriate.  This is
implemented in our Additions as of public svn r66387[1] and should be in
any future 5.1 series Additions too.  It would be great if distribution
packages could also add this.  It does not need to remove kernel modules
which are part of a distribution kernel package as long as they are not
in a location which clashes with ours (ours live in
/lib/modules/<version/misc).

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/66387/vbox/trunk

Thanks and regards
Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697