[vbox-dev] [PROPOSAL] Userdata Interface

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Thu Sep 15 09:42:37 GMT 2016

On 15.09.2016 09:12, Ivo Smits wrote:

> VirtualBox has Guest Properties, which I think are very similar to
> VMware's GuestVariables. You can use Guest Properties via the command
> line: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=10823
>
> Or via the COM API:
> https://www.virtualbox.org/sdkref/interface_i_machine.html#a9f2fffade4b897eb659cc4602694676d

Right, Guest Properties sounds like a suitable mechanism. It has
reasonably high limits (can easily handle several 100KB), and handles
anything which is valid UTF-8. Don't try to abuse it as a way to pass
binary data directly, because then you'll run into 'random' failures
when the UTF-8 validation sets off the alarm. Oh, and if you pass large
data it's probably a good idea to mark the guest property as transient
so that it doesn't cause VM settings bloat.

> On the guest side you'll probably need the VirtualBox Guest Additions
> including its kernel module to be able to access the properties.

Not "probably", Guest Additions in the VM are a must have if you're
intending to use Guest Properties.

Klaus