[vbox-dev] Linux guest: two framebuffer devices? Is it possible?

Jan Petrouš jan.petrous at tieto.com
Tue Sep 6 09:22:47 GMT 2016

Hi Michael.

On 6 September 2016 at 11:13, Michael Thayer <michael.thayer at oracle.com>
wrote:

> Hello Jan,
>
> I think you asked about this on IRC yesterday.  The first file that you
mention is part of the Linux drm driver (the rest is the other files in
that folder).  I wrote the driver, based on in-kernel ones, but I am not an
expert in the kernel drm subsystem, and in particular I only use the basic
kernel fbdev translation functions to provide the framebuffer driver.  You
would probably be better asking on the dri-devel list<1> about what to
change to get one fbdev device per head.  You might be in luck and there
might be a simple solution.

Yes, I was asking on irc, but I think I fallen in lunch mode there, so only
silence :)
That is why I asked here again.

Anyway, thanks for the hints! I definitely will have a try with drm.

But it's good that the author of driver is reachable.
So more questions can come later ;)

CU
/Jan

http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/linux/drm/vbox_fb.c

http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/x11/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.c

>> I guess that the driver for my non-x11 environment is the first one. Is
>> it true?
>>
>> I'm rather linux video driver noob, but I would like to get some good
>> start point
>> where I can at least try to start with.
>>
>> BR.
>> /Jan
>>
>> PS: Installed Fedora Server 24 Minimal config, so kernel is 4.6.7

> --
> Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt
>
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
> Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603
>
> Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
> Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister der
Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697