[vbox-dev] Location of VirtualBox configuration file

Malcolm Clarke Malcolm.Clarke at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Oct 28 14:45:23 GMT 2016

Dear Maxine

Regrettably I am not responsible for the configuration of our lab machines, this is done centrally by the University. I am just poor professor made to find workarounds for my labs.

In time we shall use VBOX_USER_HOME, which ought to provide a proper fix as this can point at the home drive of each student (ie H:\).

In the meantime I am only trying to understand why the students are losing their global configuration every time they restart the program, even though the files remain in the directory. Instead the old file is renamed and a new "empty" file is created in its place. This makes no sense if USERPROFILE is used every time.

Regards

Malcolm