[vbox-dev] Synchronizing access to the framebuffer in VirtualBox 5

Vitali Pelenjow Vitali.Pelenjow at oracle.com
Thu May 19 19:21:14 GMT 2016

Hi,

the guest may access the guest VRAM between NotifyUpdate calls.
Which means that in principle the guest can change the content while the
frontend thread is reading pixels.

Actually I wonder why this worked for your in VBox 4.3 because if the
4.3 framebuffer implementation
used the guest VRAM directly, then it was the same case as in 5.0.
Do you remember whether the 4.3 framebuffer implementation allocated the
memory and did not use VRAM directly?
In this case you simply had the additional buffer, VRAM content was
copied to it.
The same can be implemented by the frontend in 5.0. I.e. NotifyUpdate
copies data to an intermediate buffer, which is encoded.

Thanks,
Vitali.