[vbox-dev] networking outbound is slower then inbound

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Thu May 19 06:21:11 GMT 2016

On 16-05-18 11:46 AM, Alexey Eromenko wrote:

> Since you do that kind of testing, I can drop you VirtIO drivers for
> Windows 7 guest, and see how far can we go
> ...?
>
> (I hope it will work with Windows 2012, but no guarantees)
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncc0kzxrddwyick/VirtIO.iso?dl=0
>
> Other news: I'm developing my own next-generation TCP/IP stack. Do you
> know anyone who would like to discuss this with me? (I have a
> presentation ready and documentation specs)
>
> Thanks for your work,
> -Technologov
>
> 18 Май 2016 г. 9:16 PM пользователь "Geoff Nordli" <geoffn at gnaa.net
> <mailto:geoffn at gnaa.net>> написал:
>
>     Hi.
>
>     Really happy with the network performance boost with vbox5!!
>     Really 900Mbps over a virtualized network is pretty good.
>
>     One thing I notice that the outbound is slower than the inbound.
>     Any suggested tweak to get the same throughput?
>
>     The configuration:
>
>     Vbox 5.0.20
>     Virtual Machine:  Windows 2012 R2 with the 82540EM network card.
>
>     Client:  Windows 7 on physical hardware connected via 1Gbps switch.
>
>     Using the latest iperf tests, with default options.
>
>     Client -> VM  903Mbps
>     VM -> Client  572Mbps

Hi Alexey.

Do you see any difference between virtio and the intel card?

I can use the drivers from the redhat site:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers

It is going to be a bit before I actually try it out though.

At this point most of my clients are smaller and use  an all-in-one
server so speed isn't really a big concern; especially if we can bridge
the gap between outbound and inbound connections.  900Mbps is more than
fast enough for the types of servers I deploy.

thanks,

Geoff