[vbox-dev] Driver ISR call delayed for device interrupts

llyzs llyzs.vic at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:52:08 GMT 2016

Hi Michal & Ram,

Thanks for you prompt response, in fact it has been very helpful.

You were right that the suspicious delay at every 500ms was not in
VirtualBox. I have identified that this was something else I was running on
the host that caused it, so sorry for the confusion.

I am on stable 5.0 source. The way I measure the interrupt is to record the
timestamp (QueryPerformanceCounter) when I call PDMDevHlpPCISetIrq to raise
the interrupt level, and another timestamp when the driver sends another
I/O to lower the interrupt in driver's ISR, then compare the two, so I
think this should be precise. And I log the ones that only exceed 1ms.

So after I fixed my own problem, the ISR delay is now mostly below 10ms,
which is acceptable for me. I am certainly not expecting real-time response
from a VM. :) For completeness, I also tried with the latest 5.1 source
from SVN. And you were right again that there was noticeable improvement
there. The delay is not 100% eliminated (of course) but it happens much
less frequent and the delay tends to be much shorter, mostly 1-3ms.

Thanks again.

Vic