[vbox-dev] Linux guest why change SONAME in Linux for VBoxOGL and VBoxEGL ?

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Jul 11 20:37:15 GMT 2016

Hello Sérgio,

On 11.07.2016 22:32, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Seg, 2016-07-11 at 22:11 +0200, Michael Thayer wrote:
>> Hello Sérgio,
>>
>> On 11.07.2016 21:14, Sérgio Basto wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello ,
>>> Can you take a look on this patch: https://github.com/rpmfusion/Vir
>>> tual
>>> Box/blob/master/VirtualBox-5.0.22-guest_soname.patch
>>>
>>> Not using this patch makes VirtualBox-guest-additions provides
>>> /usr/lib64/VBoxOGL.so
>>>
>>> "both EGL and GL are replaced, the name of the path name doesn't
>>> count,
>>> only the internal soname count (readelf -a /usr/lib64/VBoxEGL.so
>>> SONAME)"
>>> "for now we can't provide this package, you will need to filter
>>> theses
>>> dependencies and make sure they will confict with other libgl
>>> providers
>>> (such as nvidia) "
>>>
>>> So I made this patch , any feedback is welcome
>> I hate to say it, but before you make a patch simply removing lines,
>> might it not make sense to ask why they are there in the first
>> place?
>
> I was in hurry, I'm asking now ,
>> In this case, for X11 guest 3D to work those libraries have to
>> replace
>> libGL.so.1 and libEGL.so.1 respectively, which is why they need to
>> have
>> those sonames.  I presume that NVIDIA do the same, but of course our
>> libraries and NVIDIA's should never be in use at the same time, nor
>> ours
>> and Mesa.
>
> I remove all mesa bundle sources from VirtualBox , and compile with
> mesa of the system
>
>> I don't know if you have some particular way of handling this in
>> Fedora;
>> there might even be a better way of handling it for us, but just
>> removing those lines is going to stop guest 3D acceleration from
>> working.
>
> I test it and seems that still work ...
>
>> How and in what environment did you actually test this patch?
>
> Fedora 24 as guest , Fedora 23 as host

I would be interested to know how you are building and installing the
Additions.  I assume not using our shell script installer.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697