[vbox-dev] Linux guest why change SONAME in Linux for VBoxOGL and VBoxEGL ?

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Jul 11 20:11:56 GMT 2016

Hello Sérgio,

On 11.07.2016 21:14, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Hello ,
> Can you take a look on this patch: https://github.com/rpmfusion/Virtual
> Box/blob/master/VirtualBox-5.0.22-guest_soname.patch
>
> Not using this patch makes VirtualBox-guest-additions provides
> /usr/lib64/VBoxOGL.so
>
> "both EGL and GL are replaced, the name of the path name doesn't count,
> only the internal soname count (readelf -a /usr/lib64/VBoxEGL.so |grep
> SONAME)"
> "for now we can't provide this package, you will need to filter theses
> dependencies and make sure they will confict with other libgl providers
> (such as nvidia) "
>
> So I made this patch , any feedback is welcome

I hate to say it, but before you make a patch simply removing lines,
might it not make sense to ask why they are there in the first place?
In this case, for X11 guest 3D to work those libraries have to replace
libGL.so.1 and libEGL.so.1 respectively, which is why they need to have
those sonames.  I presume that NVIDIA do the same, but of course our
libraries and NVIDIA's should never be in use at the same time, nor ours
and Mesa.

I don't know if you have some particular way of handling this in Fedora;
there might even be a better way of handling it for us, but just
removing those lines is going to stop guest 3D acceleration from
working.  How and in what environment did you actually test this patch?

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697