[vbox-dev] Guest Additions udev rule to fix console font

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Fri Jul 1 13:34:48 GMT 2016

(Answered off-list by mistake.)

On 01.07.2016 13:15, Evgeniy Isaev wrote:
> 01.07.2016 15:46, Michael Thayer пишет:
>> Hello Evgeniy,
>>
>> On 01.07.2016 11:28, Evgeniy Isaev wrote:
>>> In Ubuntu execution of rule
>>> /lib/udev/rules.d/85-keyboard-configuration.rules
>>> and loading kernel module vboxvideo occur independently and
>>> consistency is
>>> not guaranteed. As a result, font on the consoles set randomly from video
>>> bios or user defined. To avoid this, you must set up the consoles after
>>> /etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxadd.rules:
>>>
>>> SUBSYSTEM=="graphics", ATTR{name}=="vboxdrmfb", RUN+="console-setup-tty
>>> fbcon"
>>
>> Let's see if I have understood what this is about.  My guess from the
>> above is that if console-setup-tty is executed before vboxvideo is
>> loaded that it will load the fonts into the basic terminal and not the
>> fbcon subsystem, and that therefore fbcon will not see the user defined
>> fonts.  Is that correct?
>
> Yes that's correct.

Does this work with other drm frame-buffer drivers?  If so I would be
interested to know what we they are doing that we are not.  And if not
this is more likely Ubuntu's bug than ours.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697