[vbox-dev] C++ COM Glue API

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Wed Dec 21 08:16:52 GMT 2016

Hi Sara,

On Dienstag, 20. Dezember 2016 10:02:17 CET Sara Golemon wrote:
> Section 2.3.3 of the SDKRef.pdf[1] guide states: "Since COM and XPCOM are
> conceptually very similar but vary in the implementation details, we have
> created a “glue” layer that shields COM client code from these differences."
> but makes no further mention of where to find this glue API.  The SDK
> bundle[2] does contain several directories named "glue", however none which
> relate to a C++ API.
>
> 2.3.3 subsection 1 goes on to state: "To hide these differences, the
> VirtualBox glue code provides the COMGETTER(attrib) and
> COMSETTER(attrib) macros."
> so I tried greping the SDK[2] for the string "COMGETTER", however this does
> not appear anywhere.
>
> I've been able to use the CAPI glue successfully, but as I'd prefer to use
> C++, I'm hoping someone can point me to the right SDK.

have a look at the VirtualBox base package tarball which you can download
from here:

  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

The directory src/VBox/Frontends/VBoxManage contains the command line tool
which is IMO an excellent example for a simple VirtualBox API client using
the C++ bindings.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München