[vbox-dev] Driver Signing changes in Windows 10, version 1607

Власов Константин flint at flint-inc.ru
Wed Aug 3 10:06:28 GMT 2016

Hi, Gianfranco.

>>Right, and Microsoft's policy change will make the already difficult
>>build of VirtualBox yet again significantly harder on Windows. This is
>>relevant for people working on contributions on Windows host. Sad that
>>they're effectively crushing open source software.

> just to know if I remember correctly (and probably I'm wrong).

> is their policy something like
> "hey, give me all your source code, we will give you back a signed binary, but
> meh, you have no control about what we are signing instead"

> Am I correct?

No, for Windows 10 one only needs to send the binaries via MS portal, and those
will be automatically signed. The real problem here is, this cannot be done
fully automatically (at least I could not find a way; there is REST API for
sending drivers for HLK signature, but not for Windows 10 signature). Therefore
it is impossible to integrate into automated build process.

Another issue is that Win10-signed drivers are only valid in Win10, you need to
keep Oracle-signed drivers as separate copy for all the other systems.

--
Bye.                                    With best regards,
                                        Konstantin Vlasov.