[vbox-dev] Driver Signing changes in Windows 10, version 1607

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Aug 3 08:56:03 GMT 2016

Hi Alexey,

On 02.08.2016 19:42, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> read this:
> http://www.osnews.com/story/29330/Driver_Signing_changes_in_Windows_10_version_1607
>
> and this:
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10-version-1607/
>
> How will this affect VirtualBox ?

We'll deal with it somehow. We have some time left to sort it out. My
fear is that it will impact our ability to provide test builds on short
notice, i.e. that the users will suffer.

No point in saying more. Microsoft is the dictator in this context.

> NOTE: Today vboxdrv is self-signed by Oracle, without going through MS labs.

Right, and Microsoft's policy change will make the already difficult
build of VirtualBox yet again significantly harder on Windows. This is
relevant for people working on contributions on Windows host. Sad that
they're effectively crushing open source software.