[vbox-dev] Enabling logging in R0 context

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Thu Nov 26 15:18:36 GMT 2015

On Thursday 26 November 2015 12:06:18 Luca Carotenuto wrote:
> Before launching I issue
>
> VBOX_LOG=srv_intnet.e.l.l2.f
> export VBOX_LOG
>
> then I launch virtualbox.
> After that, I check the log files created; in those file some logs from the
> group I need (srv_intnet) are present, but not all of them (e.g. the one
> from IntNetR0Open()). I tried to add logs using Log(), Log2(), LogFlow(),
> but without success

The description is not complete: You didn't tell me how you launch the
VM process. Do you start the VM selector or do you start the VM with
VirtualBox --startvm ... ?

Also, first check if the R0 works at all. Some Log statements do not
necessary appear in the log file (e.g. if the log statement is executed
before the log file was created). I started a VM here with bridged
networking and I don't see any call to IntNetR0Open() either.

Set

  VBOX_LOG_FLAGS="time thread cpuid"

Then start the VM. The log file will now also contain the thread name. If
the thread name is "R0" then R0 logging works in principle and if you don't
see calls to IntNetR0Open() then this function is most likely not called
or called before the log file is open.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher