[vbox-dev] Enabling logging in R0 context

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Tue Nov 24 15:44:43 GMT 2015

Luca,

On Tuesday 24 November 2015 16:00:44 Luca Carotenuto wrote:
> I am a graduating student from University of Pisa. As MSc thesis, I have to
> add a new Networking backend to virtualbox.
> For now, all I need is to enable the R0 level logging: in particular I need
> to enable logs for this file
>
> src/VBox/Devices/Network/SrvIntNetR0.cpp
>
> I tried to compile in debug mode (BUILD_TYPE=debug), and flag
> VBOX_WITH_R0_LOGGING=1, add srv_intnet as log flags, but it didn't work.
>
> How can I enable it?

R0 logging is not possible with 'release' logging. You need to build
a debug build (as you already did) and enable the 'debug' logging.
And you need to add

  VBOX_WITH_R0_LOGGING=1

to your LocalConfig.kmk, see src/VBox/VMM/include/VMMInternal.h lines 47ff.

When you run your VM, set 'VBOX_LOG=srv_intnet.e.l.l2.f'. Make sure that
these environment settings apply to the VM process you start. The 'debug'
log file is placed into the current directory, not into Logs/ subdirectory
of the VM directory.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher