[vbox-dev] custom frontend

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Tue Nov 10 11:16:10 GMT 2015

Philip,

On Friday 06 November 2015 15:51:52 Philip Weimann wrote:
> I'm currently developing a custom frontend for virtualbox (v5) to grab
> textures from virtual machines and provide this data using a shared
> memory interface. Another application will be used for rendering the
> textures.
>
> I've already taken a look at the VBoxSDL frontend but the SDL library
> seems to be a big overhead for my purpose. What I'm searching for is a
> possibility to set(or get) a pointer to memory where virtualbox stores
> the textures.
>
> Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake but neither IDisplay nor the
> attached IFramebuffer seems to provide the texture data.
>
> It would be nice if someone could point me in the right direction.

the VBoxSDL frontend gets only limited maintenance and 3D is not really
supported there either.

Actually I'm not sure if you are talking about textures in the context
of 3D. If not, then the framebuffer handling in IDisplay is your starting
point, otherwise the Chromium code in GuestHost/OpenGL and HostServices/
SharedOpenGL.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher