[vbox-dev] 'bridged adapter' issue.

Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 09:29:39 GMT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 3:12 AM, Valery Ushakov <uwe at stderr.spb.ru> wrote:

> Maarten Hoes wrote:
>
> > The bad new is, that with virtualbox 5, when I try to start a
> > capture on the host interface when I start a CentOS guest, the
> > capture stops and I receive this error message from wireshark: "The
> > network adapter on which the capture was being done is no longer
> > running; the capture has stopped." But perhaps I should start a
> > different thread for that.
>
> Yes, this is a known problem in 5.0 with its new NDIS6 driver.  It
> happens when the first bridged VM starts and, resp., the last bridged
> VM stops.  You can restart the capture after that interruption.
>

> > Even though the hostname lookups for www.google.com dont seem to
> > show up in the host capture, even though they are in the virtualbox
> > capture, which seems odd.
>
> It has always been this way on Windows, which is IMO rather
> unfortunate, but NDIS is not really my area, so I don't know technical
> details.

Alright, so at least that is expected behavior, then. Thanks.

Well the only other thing I can think of to assist in troubleshooting the
issue, is to enable some logging ? I took a look at these wiki pages :

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBoxMainLogging
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBoxLogging

But I couldnt see any values for VBOXSVC_RELEASE_LOG and
VBOXSVC_RELEASE_LOG_FLAGS that might be helpful in this particular case.
(or flags and options to supply to 'VBoxManage debugvm <name> log foo',
which seems slightly neater than using the environment variables.)

I browsed through the stuff located in 'include/VBox/log.h' as pointed out
in that page, but couldnt find anything immediately obvious.
https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/include/VBox/log.h

(Also a debug build may be useful for debug log purposes, but I cannot find
pre-build debug builds for Windows on the web site).

- Maarten