[vbox-dev] Patch to support installation on non-Sun/Oracle Solaris hosts

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Thu Jul 2 09:52:15 GMT 2015

Hi Jim,

> Hi Ram,
>

> That's what I researched originally. The problem is, these "uname"
> identifiers are not quite constant (and in my own build of the OS/Net
> gate I can define anything I want).

I'm sorry but I disagree with the expectations here.  If people want to
make their OS practically unidentifiable, then the onus is on them to
deal with the consequences.  If someone can fake up their own uname
while building their own kernel, they can also break the kernel package
FMRI any way they choose. This is not something we want to support.

With this being case, we should be able to use 'omni*' or 'oi_*' or
'illumos*' and use 5.11 snv_151 version compatibility.

Regardless, I hacked up a patch last week trying to fix up the FMRI
parsing (rest of the stuff is untouched).  I'm attaching the patch here
(you might have to manually apply it, as it's pretty small).

Let me know if this satisfies the requirements for supporting the
distros in question. This patch doesn't do the uname simplification I
mentioned above, so there's no guarantee that I'll be applying this
patch if there is a simpler solution.