[vbox-dev] Tracking of CPU utilization from Host

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Feb 11 15:40:10 GMT 2015

Hi Arkajit,

On 11.02.2015 10:30, Arkajit Ghosh wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I am working on some performance related setup. My setup is something
> like this: Sending huge traffic from VM1 (latest ubuntu image) to VM2
> (latest ubuntu image) and VM1 is situated in HOST1 and VM2 is situated
> HOST2. Both VMs are executing via Oracle VirtualBox.
>
> Now I want to track the CPU utilizations of both the VMs during booting
> up time, during packet handling time from corresponding Hosts. How I can
> track the exact CPU utilizations used by the VMs?
>
> I tried using the "top" command from the host , after getting the pid of
> each virtualbox. Can anyone confirm is this the right way to track the
> CPU utilization of VMs?

It is one way to get some CPU utilization. Can't tell if it gives the
"right" data.

I would most likely use the "metrics" feature built into the VirtualBox
API, either directly, or using "VBoxManage metrics" from CLI (with
appropriate additional parameters, the command tells you what it
expects. It's also documented in the manual:
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#metrics

This way (when guest additions are active) you can get both per-VM CPU
usage as seen on the host and as seen from inside the VM.

> Please feel free to reply. If you think this is not the right place to
> ask this query then please guide me where I can put this query.

It's an OK place (not really development related though) - you'd get a
wider audience in the VirtualBox forums.

Klaus