[vbox-dev] VirtualBox Windows build instructions

Valery Ushakov uwe at stderr.spb.ru
Wed Aug 5 17:17:09 GMT 2015

Maarten Hoes wrote:

> Oops. Looks like I spoke a little too soon :
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Maarten Hoes wrote:
>
>> Also, I uninstalled the debug build and re-installed 5.0 with the same
>> results : failing old vm's and a working new vm
>
> back on version 5.0, the 'new' vm has a somewhat broken network
> connection: sometimes the ping works, and sometimes it fails; or
> takes a while before it starts to work.

Stupid question, have you tried rebooting your wifi router?

Re old vms not working, while investigating your earlier problem with
IPv6 - https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14212#comment:11 - the
"unrelated problem" mentioned in that comment.  I've seen packet
captures from a router that was somehow stuck with a stale ARP entry
for the guest obtained, apparently, while the VM was bridged to an
ethernet and that insisted on using that stale ARP even when VM was
connected to it bridged to wifi, which didn't work, obviously.
Rebooting the router helped.

Delays and intermittent failures in ping or other connections - I
fixed a problem like that with ARP rewriting for bridged-to-wifi some
time ago.  Do you by any chance running a wireshark on the host
interface while doing that test?  There's a bug in new NDIS6 bridged
driver that causes it to incorrectly reflect rewritten packets back to
the guest (bridged to wifi) and the guest sees its own ARP or ND6 with
hosts MAC and interprets that as duplicate address conflict.

-uwe